Forex and Futures Trading in a Midland IRA
Forex trading is the trading of currencies. Investors have learned to trade Forex in their self directed IRAs. Investors should have the training and expertise in trading before getting started with these highly specialized and volatile investments. Midland only allows trading with US-based currency exchanges. It is important to understand the intricacies of Forex trading or to work with an experienced manager. Open a Midland self directed IRA and get started investing in Forex today.
How does Forex work? Currencies trade against each other as exchange rate “pairs.” For example, the Euro traded against the US Dollar, EUR/USD pair. There are many different currency pairs available to trade, and you are not limited to USD pairs. As another example, you could trade the Japanese Yen against the Euro, JPY/EUR pair.
Unique Trading Times for Forex
Unlike the stock market, the forex market is open nearly 24/7 as it is open 24 hours a day from 5 p.m. ET on Sunday until 4 p.m. ET on Friday. This unique timing is because currencies continue to trade in markets worldwide, even after the New York exchange closes. Forex trading opens daily with the Australia/Asia area, followed by Europe, then North America.
New York: 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. ET
Sydney: 5 p.m. – 2 a.m. ET
Tokyo: 7 p.m. – 4 a.m. ET
London: 3 a.m. – 12 p.m. ET
During timezone overlap, liquidity and trade volume increases. The two busiest timezones are New York and London, especially during their overlapping sessions. The New York and London overlap accounts for the majority of this five trillion dollar per day market.
Forex markets are utilized by Banks and other financial institutions to hedge their foreign currency holdings as conditions change globally. Individual investors are also able to participate in these markets.
Types of Forex
- Self Directed Trading
- Trade forex independently with a self directed account (for the experienced trader).
- Managed Accounts
- Let a professional money manager (Commodity Trading Advisor) do the trading for you.
- Automated Accounts
- Automated trading programs able to execute orders at high-speeds following trading algorithms.
Benefits of Investing in Forex With Your IRA
- Building for Retirement
- Most Americans do not want to rely on Social Security.
- Earnings Growth
- The gains within self directed IRAs and other plans accrue on a tax-free or tax-deferred basis to benefit you when you retire.
- Tax Deductions Can Be Taken on Contributions to Your Self Directed IRA
- While this does not apply to Roth IRAs—most contributions to other retirement plans and self directed IRAs are eligible deductions on your income taxes.
- Roth Self Directed IRAs Are One of the Most Beneficial Retirement Plans Available
- All contributions are made after tax, but the earnings grow on a tax-free basis provided that certain requirements are met.
Forex Trading in IRA Process & Timeline
Midland’s Role Once the Forex Trading Account is Open
All trading will be done with the FCM. Midland is responsible for all cash flow record-keeping related to the IRA-owned trading account. Whenever you are looking to add additional funds or remove funds from the forex account, it will need to flow through your Midland account. Midland handles the ongoing tax reporting for contributions & distributions of assets held in your Midland retirement account.
Important to Note: Trading accounts must be held in title by the investor account: Midland Trust Company as Custodian FBO Client Name Client Account Number.